2009 Majors Special Rules
2009 Freetown/Berkley/Dighton Major Leagues REVISED 4/4/09
SPECIAL RULES – REVISED by Coaches Meeting on 4/5/09
1) Home team makes the call for rain/weather postponements. Home coach must call visitor ASAP.
2) Pitching Week Begins on FRIDAY MORNING during the regular season. Games are to begin at 5:45 pm on Monday through Friday; 9 a.m. on Saturday (Berkley) and 1 p.m. for Sunday make-up games.
3) Regular Season Pitching Rules:
- 6 innings per player, per week (week begins on Friday Morning)
- 12 innings maximum for all 12 year olds per team, per week
- If a player pitches 4 innings in one game he can not pitch for 84 hours from the start time of that game.
- One legal pitch equals one inning for all pitchers.
4) Playoff Pitching Rules:
- 6 innings per player during the first 3 games of the playoffs
- 2 additional innings per player, per game for all subsequent games
- If a pitcher throws MORE THAN THREE innings, he may not pitch in his team’s next game
- Innings are cumulative – they may be banked – during the playoffs
- Each player must play a minimum of 6 defensive outs and get 1 at-bat during each game he attends
- Little League-style substitution rules will be used
o A ‘starter’ may re-enter the game in any position – and must be in the same batting position – once the person who substituted for him has been in the game for at least 6 defensive outs and had 1 at-bat. Substitute and starter may not be in the game at the same time.
6) Extra Hitter: EH
- An Extra Hitter may be used by any team and must be designated on the roster as the EH prior to the start of a game.
- The Extra hitter does not need to play in the field during the game
- The Extra Hitter is treated as a ‘fielding position’ and may sub-in to play a defensive position without affecting/changing his team’s batting order and provided the player he subs-in for has played six consecutive defensive outs.
- The Extra Hitter may not be substituted for unless he has played 6 consecutive outs in the field and had one at-bat.
7) Mercy Rule:
- A 10-run mercy rule applies at each half-inning interval when the trailing team is behind by 10 or more runs and has completed 12 or more outs (4 innings) at the plate.
8) Protested Contests
- Initiate a protest by contacting Mike Botelho at 508-723-4091 to serve notice of your protest. A voice mail message is an acceptable means of filing your protest.
- Botelho will notify all coaches in the league and schedule a Protest Review Meeting ASAP
- Protest Review Meeting Quorum = 2 non-affected coaches from each league
- Each non-affected coach has one vote – coaches must be present to vote
- Coaches from the two affected teams may not vote
- A majority vote is required to uphold the protest. A tie vote equals a rejection. No re-votes.
9) Make-Up Games
- Every effort must be made to play and complete each game in its scheduled week
- Monday games are scheduled for TUESDAY make-ups at the same time
- Wednesday games are scheduled for THURSDAY make-ups at the same time.
10) 8 Player Rule
- a minimum of 8 players is required to start a game and complete an official game
- there will not be an out taken on the ninth batting spot to start a game(if empty due to injury would be an out
- game start-times are not flexible - they must start on time however, a 15 minute grace period is allowed if one team has only 7 players. If the 15 minutes transpire and the 8th player has not arrived, a forfeit is called and coaches are encouraged to have a scrimmage. The 9th player takes the last spot in the batting order.
11) Housekeeping Items
- Home team is responsible for pre-game field preparations which must be completed at least 30 minutes prior to game time
- Infield/Warm-up begins 25 minutes prior to the game time. Home team goes first for 10 minutes (5:20 – 5:30). Visitor second for 10 minutes (5:30 – 5:40). Umpire meeting: 5 minutes. If a team begins warm-ups late, they may not extend warm-ups to make-up for lost time. Use it or lose it.
- Trash pick-Up: each team is responsible for leaving their bench area litter free
- Coaches will discourage players from digging holes in the field or otherwise damaging the fields
- No slash bunts
- Head first sliding is acceptable only returning to a base.
- No batting practice or soft toss on the playing field prior to any game
© 2013 LeaguePro, Inc. All rights reserved.
This site created by